Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What is Technology Integration?

Technology integration is basically using technology in the classroom in order for students to help retain information or understand the lesson on a more in depth level. I think it means more than just using computers for word processing or making a powerpoint presentation. Technology integration can mean demonstrating new tools on the web that students may have never even known about.

Technology is is becoming more and more widespread every moment. Careers from teaching to car mechanics to doctors involve computers for either programming uses or for connectivity. Getting experience with as many tools as possible during one's school ages can be extremely beneficial in whatever career direction taken.

One concern I have about technology integration is the phasing out of traditional methods of teaching. I mean, once we've taught our children to communicate through emails, blogging, pod/webcasts, twitter, facebook and whatever else is out there, what happens to the face to face communication and personal connection between student and teacher? I, for one, am concerned about gaining trust and respect from students if they spend their time staring at a computer instead of interacting with me in class. Perhaps I'm being unreasonable, but what's the stopping point? I mean, when I have children, will I have to "plug them in" for them to learn something?

No comments:

Post a Comment