Friday, August 21, 2009

Technology Integration

Before I took Learning Through Technology, I fully intended on integrating technology in my future lessons. I thought that my knowledge of available technology was sufficient enough to reinforce lesson plans I used or projects I wanted to assign. However, this class has allowed me to become aware of my ignorance! I really had no idea of the vast amount of tools that are accessible through the web.

As I have mentioned in a previous blog, I haven’t quite gotten a hold of building my PLN/PLC. However, I have it in mind to keep up with blogs that I currently follow, for I have found a couple so far that have given me an extensive amount of tools, hints and websites. This information is valuable, not only to my future teaching career, but will also be useful during my own scholastic projects.

My new awareness and knowledge of what exists out there definitely motivates me to use more technology in the classroom. I think because technology advances at such a rapid rate, there’s going to be an advantage for students whose teachers provide them with current tools and skills. Not only will computers and electronics contribute to a quality lesson, but will also make the students more proficient in the kinds of equipment used in a variety of jobs.

I think using technology engages students in a way that books and lectures can’t achieve. Sure, I actually like reading in order to absorb information, but I honestly don’t think I can expect the current generation of children to learn how I learned. I believe today patience is a dying quality, at least when it comes to obtaining information. With cell phones in every pocket, computers and everything on-demand, I imagine it may be harder for today’s student to learn without technology. I want to keep the children engaged and I intend to do so using any podcasts, websites, web tools, programs, streaming videos, voicethreads, web maps and animations I can get my hands on. As long as I can apply the tools to the frameworks, I will present the children with as much technology and I can.



created at TagCrowd.com


7 comments:

  1. You are so right about patience being a dyiing quality-it really sort of sums up how things have changed over the years-(changed for the better, but expectations are higher.) That means that keeping up with technology will be pretty much required when we are in the classrooom. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right we really have no choice but to use technology to engage our "digital natives"! Nice job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey There -
    I was the same way before I started this class. I was dreading another class about Microsoft Paint and Word ... I have been VERY happy with this class and I, too, realized how much I had to learn and still have to learn about technology. I also still struggle with the whole PLN idea but it is something I intend to keep plugging away at. I really like the idea of having a list of all of these sites to keep as a guide - also I think that if nothing else it will be great for us all to be able to rely on each other in case we have questions - through our Twitter. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your attitude is so great! I think it is really important for teachers to be willing to change and not to be stuck using the same curriculum year after year. Now that we all have learned how to access new information hopefully we can keep up with what we read and implement into our classrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this class has been very eye-opening about all the technology out there. It sounds like your recognition of the fact that you need to keep learning to keep up-to-date will serve you well. Good point, also, that today’s generation just won’t learn the same way we learned. You’re already a step ahead of the game for being able to acknowledge that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, I concur about everything you are saying! It makes a lot of sense to have such a positive attitude and understand that the students we will be teaching are learning in a different mannter, and whether or not we like it, we have to be open to the idea of technology in the classroom and just be prepared. I also agree with you about the imporance of developing PLNs now and in the future. Although our PLNs are not strong right now, I'm sure that we are heading in the right direction in developing them, starting with this class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I knew about what technology was out there, but agreed, after taking this class the world just opened up and had a technology rainfall!!!

    ReplyDelete